Here we attempt to collect a library of resources and references around ideas in Civic Tech, including collectives, communities, tools, foundations and others that we find interesting. We want to be giving special priority to those initiatives happening in the Barcelona area, but will start with references most well-known around the world for context.
[Legend — C: Catalonia // Es: Spain // Eu: Europe // W: Rest of the world // FP: For profit // NFP: Not for profit // ]
Collectives, non-profits, organizations
- Impact HUB (W): network of spaces and community centers for social entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Civic Hall (W): community center for the world’s civic innovators. We are a space where social entrepreneurs, change-makers, government employees, hackers, academics, journalists.
- Center for Social Innovation (W): space and community center for social innovation entrepreneurs and organizers.
- Ouishare (W)
- Poplus (W): Poplus is an international community of activists, citizens and developers, creating standardised, internationalised, interoperable, open-source components, to make it easier to build websites that empower citizens.
- Ciudadano Inteligente (W – Latam)
- Socialab (W – Latam)
- Tactical Tech Collective (Eu): non-profit organisation, working since 2003 to advance the use of information and digital technologies by advocates and activists worldwide
- FabLab Barcelona (C -> W): Fab Lab Barcelona is a centre of production, investigation and education, that uses the latest computer-assisted design software for the creation of prototypes and scale models for Architecture, Construction and Industrial Design.
- Fundación de los comunes (Es): Red de cooperativas y centros sociales autónomos al servicio de la revolución democrática/Herramientas de investigación, formación y acción colectiva para el común.
- Platoniq (C / Es): organitzación en la cual interactúan profesionales de la cultura y del software.
- MySociety (Eu)
- CivicWise (Eu): CivicWise is a distributed and open community that seeks to empower citizens by fostering collaborative urbanism, promoting civic innovation and inspiring better civic engagement.
- The Democratic Society (Eu)
- Media Lab Prado (Es): Medialab-Prado is a citizen laboratory of production, research and bradcasting of cultural projects that explores the forms of experimentation and collaborative learning that have emerged from digital networks.
- The Engine Room (W): The Engine Room helps activists, organisations, and other social change agents make the most of data and technology to increase their impact.
- Citizen Beta (Eu): civic tech meetup community in London
- Democracia En Red (W): organization that develops strategies and builds tools to facilitate access of citizenry to public decision-making.
- Xnet (EU): Xnet is an activist project working in fields related to: online democracy (participation mechanisms and citizen control of power and institutions); the advocacy of a neutral and free Internet; the free circulation of culture, knowledge and information and the defense of citizen journalism for the right to know, inform and be informed; the technical, communications and legal fight against corruption; and the technopolitics understood as the practice of networking and taking action for empowerment, justice and social transformation.
Studios, agencies, companies
- Open Seneca (C, FP)
- Nava (W): digital agency for government services.
- Center for Technology and Civic Life (W)
- Scytl (C -> W, FP): building infrastructure for eElection Processes and all sorts of services for eGovernment
- Citigrows (W, FP)
- OpenGov (W, FP)
- Democracy Works (W, NFP): building tools to increase voter turnout and engagement
Tools and projects (FP/NFP)
- Kuorum (Eu): an online service that creates a more open form of government by improving transparency, accountability and participation in politics to communicate with representatives.
- Osoigo (Es): Portal facilitating sending questions to elected politicans.
- Consul (Es): Open Government and eParticipation web software
- Microsoft Civic Graph (W): A tool to explore civic tech communities and initiatives all over the world
- http://backfeed.cc/: infrastructure for massive open-source collaboration without central coordination
- MySidewalk (W – FP): visualization tool
- Greenhouse (US): chrome extension to reveal congressional corporate funding
- Pol.is (W): massive deliberation tool, combine polling data from hundreds of people with machine learning and interactive data visualization
- DCent (Eu): A Europe-wide project developing the next generation of open source, distributed, and privacy-aware tools for direct democracy and economic empowerment.
Conferences, Events & Meetups
- Personal Democracy Forum
- OuiShare Fest Paris
- OuiShare Fest Barcelona: conferencia dedicada exclusivamente a la economía colaborativa en lengua hispana.
- TicTec Conference: https://www.mysociety.org/research/tictec-2016/
- Personal Democracy Forum
- EFF (W)
- Omidyar Network (W)
- Data and Society Institute (W): a research institute focused on the social and cultural issues arising from data-centric technological development.
- MacArthur Foundation Research Network on Opening Governance: works to develop the blueprints for more effective and legitimate democratic institutions to the end of improving people’s lives.
- Knight Foundation (W – NFP)
- Sunlight Foundation (W – NFP): foundation avocating for increasing transparency and accountability in US administrations
- Open Society Foundation (W)
- Internet Interdisciplinary Group – Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (IN3): L’Internet Interdisciplinary Institute (IN3) és un centre de recerca de la Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC) especialitzat en l’estudi d’Internet i dels efectes de la interacció de les tecnologies digitals amb l’activitat humana.” (C)
- Citizen Lab – University of Toronto: The Citizen Lab is an interdisciplinary laboratory based at the Munk School of Global Affairs,University of Toronto, Canada focusing on advanced research and development at the intersection of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs), human rights, and global security. (W)
- TheGovLab – NYU / MIT (W)
- Civic Hall Labs – (W)
- Ouishare Mag (Eu – W): Magazine of the OuiShare community